Preparing for a new baby can become an overwhelming experience. Dimples would like to help you by providing a complete list of New Born Essentials, including all the ‘little things’ that can easily be overlooked.
Try to stage your shopping over a period of time so as not to exhaust yourself, or better still, enjoy shopping online with Dimples. We realize that as a mum-to-be, you’re often tired and not up to ‘hitting the shops’.
You'll be changing your baby's clothing many times a day! Dimples have made sure outfits are uncomplicated and open easily for nappy changes. We create soft, comfortable clothing which is as practical as it is beautiful. Our commitment to quality and attention to detail means you can enjoy beautiful, timeless and long lasting baby wear that is easy to care for.
We've included approximate guidelines on quantity, but how many of each item you need will depend on how often you plan to do laundry.
Dimples Essential Clothing for Baby:
- 2 Day/homecoming outfits – good idea to have a woolen outfit for transporting baby from hospital. Could include bodysuit, pants, cardigan, booties and hat.
- 3 Wool Bodysuits – Dimples Bodysuits dome under the crotch to prevent them from riding up, easy for nappy changing
- 6 - 8 Cotton Bodysuits
- 3 Gowns – comes with draw string at the bottom. This helps Baby feel secure much like in the womb.
- 3 Dome Front Stretch n Grows – domes make changing baby easy especially for first time parents. The Stretch n Grow eliminates the need to push baby’s head through a neck hole.
- 2 Cardigans - Most babies don't like having clothes pulled over their heads, so warm up your baby with a Dimples cardigan that domes/buttons down the front.
- 3 - 4 Booties – Dimples booties are renowned for staying on. Consider our new HighTop Booties which provide extra warmth for little legs.
- 3 - 4 Socks
- 2 Hats/Beanies – For a winter baby, our Merino Wool Fleece Hat is especially warm as it covers Baby’s ears.
- 1 - 2 Sunhats (summer) - broad-brimmed to protect Baby’s delicate skin from the sun
- 1 Mittens – prevent baby scratching
- 3 Swaddle cloths – Dimples Swaddle Cloths are made with a bit of ‘stretch’ which makes baby feel snug and secure while still able to move their arms. Recent studies have shown that the ability of Baby being able to move their arms while wrapped directly links to brain development.
- SleepSac – three seasonal weights available. The Dimples SleepSac will keep your baby snuggly at night without your worrying about a blanket covering his head. Ingenious, unique design makes it great for the pram and car-seat too. Can also dome into a jumpsuit for when baby becomes mobile.
Suggested Summer Ranges:
- The Classics Range is made from Cotton (93%) Elastane (7%). Cotton is the perfect fiber for newborns as it is a natural fiber which breathes freely. The elastane component of the fabric allows for freedom of movement and the ultimate in comfort.
- Wool Cotton is perfect for summer or midseason; it has a New Zealand merino wool outer with a 100% cotton lining. Merino wool helps regulate baby’s temperature, it breathes in warm conditions and insulates in cooler climates.
- Dimples offers Organic Baby cotton ranges which are produced without the use of toxic chemicals at any stage of processing from the farm to the yarn. Organic cotton makes the softest, purest fabric ideal for newborn baby’s sensitive skin.
Suggested Winter Ranges:
- The Merino Wool range can be worn on its own or layered under other garments for extra warmth. Merino Wool is the ideal fabric for babies as its natural fibers help to regulate temperature.
- Dimples Organic Merino Wool & Fleece range has natural fire retardant properties that make it safer than oil based synthetic fleece garments, making it ideal for babies clothing. Dimples Organic Merino Wool garments are produced without the use of toxic pesticides or fertilizers at any stage of processing from the farm to the yarn.
Dimples Nursery Essentials:
- 3 Dimples Sheet sets. Visit our Bedding page.
- 2 Dimples Bassinet or Cot Blankets – Bassinette size is also useful for car seat or pram
- 1 Babybliss by Dimples Changing Table
- 1 Babybliss by Dimples Bassinet or Dimples Rimu Cot - the bassinette is also very portable, making it easy to travel with
- A new baby mattress
- 2 Dozen Material nappies - to tuck firmly on top of sheets to make bed changing hassle free when baby spills
- Mattress protector - wraps around mattress to protect baby from harmful toxic fumes which can be emitted from mattresses
- 4 100% Cotton under blankets – to place on top of mattress protector, and under sheets
- Safety pillow/sleep positioner for bassinette or cot
- Baby monitor
- Musical toy to build into sleep routines
- 5 Dummies/Pacifiers if you choose to use them
For Changing Nappies:
- Nappies - either fabric or disposable
- If you're using disposable nappies you may want a disposal bin
- Two nappy buckets for fabric nappies
- Disposable nappy bags
- Wet wipes or cloths
- 1 Dimples Baby Bottom Balm – you’ll also want one for your nappy bag
Dimples Bath Time Essentials:
Dimples Baby products contain the soothing, calming properties of New Zealand grown lavender oil. Made in New Zealand and not tested on animals. Click to view our bathing accessories.
- Baby bath
- 1 Dimples Baby Shampoo and Body wash
- 1 Dimples Baby Oil – great for building into sleep routine
- 4 Dimples Muslin Flannels
- 2 Dimples Hooded Towels - keeps baby’s head warm after bathing and shampoo
Dimples Feeding Essentials:
Click to view our feeding accessories.
- 6 Dimples Muslin Wraps – great for cleaning up milky mouths, sticky fingers and for providing a bit of privacy while feeding
- 3-6 Dimples Bibs
- 3 Nursing bras
- Breast pads
- Nipple Crème
- Nursing pillow
- Breast pump/expresser
- 6 - 8 glass Evenflow Bottles – available on the Dimples website
- A sterilising kit
- Bottle Brush
- If you are not breastfeeding you will need baby formula
- 20ltr bucket – useful for soaking soiled baby clothes
- Whitening agent such as Nappy San
First Aid Essentials:
- Medicine Dispensers
Out and About:
- Dimples SleepSac – as listed under clothing
- Pram blanket – as listed under Dimples Nursery Essentials
- Rear facing infant car seat (you must have one to bring baby home from hospital or birth centre)
- Safety mirror
- 1 Cuddle rug/ Travel Blanket
- Moses basket - available on the Dimples website. Babies like a small area to sleep in after being in the womb for 9 months. Moses baskets are soothing and portable.
- Baby carrier/sling
Dimples Nappy Bag Essentials: