Essential Baby List
Preparing for a new baby can become an overwhelming experience. Dimples would like to help you by providing a complete list of New Born Essentials, including all the ‘little things’ that can easily be overlooked.
- Try to stage your shopping over a period of time so as not to exhaust yourself, or better still, enjoy shopping online with Dimples. We realize that as a mum-to-be, you’re often tired and not up to ‘hitting the shops’.
- You'll be changing your baby's clothing many times a day! Dimples have made sure outfits are uncomplicated and open easily for nappy changes. We create soft, comfortable clothing which is as practical as it is beautiful. Our commitment to quality and attention to detail means you can enjoy beautiful, timeless and long lasting baby wear that is easy to care for.
- We have included aproximate guidelines on quantity, but how many of each item you need will depend on how often you plan to do laundry.
We suggest New Zealand Merino Wool for winter, Cotton for summer and Wool Cotton Blend for the change in seasons.
- 2x Day/homecoming outfits – Good idea to have woolen outfit for transporting baby from hospital. Could include bodysuit, gown, pants, cardigan, booties and hat.
- 4x Wool bodysuits – That dome under the crutch to prevent them from riding up and easy for nappy changing
- 4x Cotton Bodysuits
- 3x Gowns – With draw string at the bottom. This helps baby feel secure much like in the womb
- 3x Babygrows
- 2x Cardigans – Easy to take on and off when the temperature changes.
- 3x Booties
- 6x Socks
- 2x Hats/Beanies – Merino wool for Newborns and Winter Babies.
- 2x Sunhats – For Summer Babies
- 3x Mittens – To prevent your baby scratching
- 2x Sleepsacs
- 2x Snugglesacs
- 2x Snugglewraps or Sleep Pod
- 1x Wrap
FIRST AID ESSENTIALS
- Bassinet or Cot
- New Baby Mattress – Don’t forget to air your mattress at least once a week.
- Change Table
- 2x Sheet sets
- 2x Fitted sheets
- 2x Bassinet or Cot Blankets – Merino wool for winter, Cotton for summer, Newborns will require wool. Bassinet size can also be used as car seat or Pram Blanket.
- 1x Merino Stroller Blanket
- 12-24 x Material Square Nappies – to tuck firmly on top of sheets to make bed changing hassle free when baby spills
- 1x Baby Monitor
- 2x Dry Cot mattress protector
- 2x Cotton blankets
BATH AND HYGIENE
- Saline Nasal Drops
- NUK – Nasal Decongester
- Baby Bath and Support
- Baby Wash
- 6x Muslin Flannels
- 2x Hooded towels - Keeps your baby’s head warm after bathing
- 1x Bottom Balm - Can be good to have one in the Nursery as well as in your Nappy Bag
- Nappies - Either Fabric or Disposable
- Disposable nappy bags
- Nail clippers/scissors
- Baby Hair Brush
- Massage Oil/Olive Oil
OUT AND ABOUT
- 6x Muslin Wraps – Great for milky mouths and great for providing privacy while feeding.
- 6x Bibs
- 3x Nursing Bra’s
- Breast Pads
- Nipple cream
- Breast pump/Expresser
- 3x Minbie Bottles with teats – If you wish to do combination breast/bottle
- 8+ Minbie Bottles with teats – If you are bottle feeding only
- A sterilising Kit
- Bottle Brush
- 4 x Dummies/Pacifiers – If you choose to use them.
- Nappy Bag - You need an adequate sized one to take whatever is required for the baby while out.
- Nappy Wallet – For quick trips out fill with nappies, wipes and change mat
- Change of Clothes – 1-2 outfits depending on how long you will be out for.
- Creams - Small tubes of creams you use for your baby
- Disposable nappy bags
- Small fold away or disposable change mat
- Hand sanitizer
- Rear Facing Baby Capsule - You must have one to bring baby home from hospital.
- 2x Buckets – Large with Lids
- Softly Liquid Wool Wash or Lux Flakes or Earthwise – For Wool
- Wonder Soap
- Persil Sensitive - for non-wool products